Welcome! My guest today is SHEro Carrie Hensley, who will teach us how to incorporate a regular yoga practice into our daily lives, even if it’s just five minutes!
Carrie shares how yoga can change and empower your life.
Carrie wants to connect people to their inner awareness and mindfulness. She owned an award-winning yoga studio for seven years before opening her own online yoga studio, Sacred Sangha.
Join us for some inspiration from Carrie!
In this episode, you'll hear:
- One of her first yoga teachers infused mindfulness into yoga without her even realising it.
- Mindfulness is awareness to thoughts, sensations, and emotions; it’s being in the present moment.
- Carrie explains the differences and similarities in the styles of yoga she practices.
- However you “come to the yoga mat” leads to personal growth and freedom.
- Carrie’s motivation to begin yoga classes was that she wanted “Madonna arms.”
- After Carrie’s first yoga class, the mental calming component taught her that yoga was much more than just exercise.
- She started immediately looking for opportunities to learn to be a yoga teacher.
- Her childhood was traumatic, and she has had eating disorders and even spent time in rehab; it’s been yoga that helped her come to wholeness.
- Early on, yoga had more of an impact on Carrie, but then the mindfulness brought benefits in various areas of her life.
- Carrie fits yoga into her everyday life; she practices 6 days/week, morning and evening.
- “I’m a much nicer person when I’m practising yoga regularly.”
- Some people who are new to yoga want to experience it in the privacy and comfort of their own home, so Carrie’s online yoga studio helps with that.
- Sacred Sangha offers live online classes, both monthly and weekly, along with e-courses, monthly themes, retreats, and even a book club!
- Carrie teaches breathing techniques, chanting, and meditation—exploring them all in her teaching.
- The community aspect of Carrie’s online clients is a huge benefit.
- One way to practice mindfulness is to keep a journal, writing down how you move throughout your days.
- To begin incorporating yoga, look for beginner classes, but don’t be afraid to try different teachers until you find the right one for you.
- There are many resources are available to help with yoga, meditation, and mindfulness.
Top 3 Tips To From Carrie:
- Practice everyday
- Schedule yoga into your calendar
- Practice with a sense of compassion and non-judgement
“We’re all just walking each other home.” - Ram Dass
Favourite Fictional Character:
Mindy 'Hit Girl' Macready, from the movie Kickass
The Heart Connector
About Carrie Hensley:
Carrie's mission is to connect you to your inner guru through yoga, mindfulness and service.
By turning our awareness inwards, we begin to connect to that place of intrinsic worth and Source the unique gifts that each of us brings into this lifetime. We live a more authentic and purpose driven life and are more adept at sharing our gifts with the world.
Her own life's path (dharma) is to serve.
Towards this endeavour, she's been teaching and practising yoga since 1998. She has had training in Ashtanga, Healthy Backs, Anusara, Forrest Yoga, Therapeutic Yoga for Seniors through Duke Integrative Medicine and Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction.
Carrie owned an award winning yoga studio for seven years before opening her online yoga studio, Sacred Sangha.
Connect With Carrie Hensley:
Interview Links And Resources:
Carrie Hensley's Website
Carrie's Online Yoga Studio
Free Resources: Yoga classes, meditations, e-course and much more